dpz702

My glide bait progression

Sorry if im in the wrong section but i wanted to share my progress on making glide baits. First bait was maybe july/2023 and the bottom was a week ago. Best thing is they actually glide/swim instead of roll to tye surface. I still need to get better with my carvings as that hasnt improved much, i can't seem to get those nice crisp cuts that i see others make. Maybe im not sanding enough??.

20240422_192917.jpg

Looks good. Feels good to make progress. I would recommend pushing your joint back a little to at least 50/50, you should notice a difference. I use normally use 60/40. Not to say your configuration won’t work, but if you look at most of the more successful Baits on the market, they have a smaller backend.

as for the cleaner cuts, the wood you’re using could be too soft. Take a look at Marlins Baits on YouTube. I make a 90° cut on my guideline come in with a sharp knife at an angle and sand on the backside of your cut. Your first cuts should be exaggerated so as you sand you don’t take away from the detail.

• Like 1

Good for you.  Those look really good.

If it were me, I would concentrate on getting the glide action like I want it first. 

The carving/detailing and the paint scheme are for the fishermen.  They're fun to do, but very secondary to the actual action of the bait.  That's what catches the fish.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:21 AM, Flaswimbaiter said:

Looks good. Feels good to make progress. I would recommend pushing your joint back a little to at least 50/50, you should notice a difference. I use normally use 60/40. Not to say your configuration won’t work, but if you look at most of the more successful Baits on the market, they have a smaller backend.

as for the cleaner cuts, the wood you’re using could be too soft. Take a look at Marlins Baits on YouTube. I make a 90° cut on my guideline come in with a sharp knife at an angle and sand on the backside of your cut. Your first cuts should be exaggerated so as you sand you don’t take away from the detail.

Thanks for the feed back, i will definitely try that