T.McC

Newbie looking to make first Glide bait

Longtime bass fisherman and Woodworker/Carpenter by trade. So picked up a glide bait rod and with the cost of these things figured it’ll be fun at the same time as learning how to fish with them to maybe start practicing them.

that being said, I would like to carve and make custom since I’m pretty set up with my woodshop and it would be fun for me. 

So was wondering where the best place to purchase the hardware for the glide Baits would be Like the eyelets and such. Also if anyone has any recommendations on websites or specific youtube pages for glide/swim baits? Weight distribution and where to put the hooks…. Etc. I know I got a lot to learn and looking forward to it. 

Any help is greatly appreciated 

You can find hardware at Lure Parts Online, Barlows and or Jann's Netcraft,, as well as Ebay and Amazon.                               There are quite a few bait builders on Youtube, check out Engineered Angler, he does pretty thorough job of explaining the how and why of bait building.                                                                                                                                                          Check out Tackle Tours article, "Cutting open a $400 bait". They cut open a Roman Made Mother and you can see all the weight placement in the bottom of the bait for reference.                                                                                                             Glide baits are about the most difficult baits to get right, they will take quite a bit of testing and experimentation to get a great gliding bait.                                                                                                                                                                                    Keep thorough notes, you will be surprised how much you will refer back to them                                                                       Good luck and welcome to the forum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:12 PM, AZ Fisher said:

Glide baits are about the most difficult baits to get right, they will take quite a bit of testing and experimentation to get a great gliding bait.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

This says it all. If you are new to making baits, starting with a glide is quite ambitious (which is not a bad thing). Maybe try a few wakes and multi jointed baits first to get a feel for how your wood reacts to your weight and to get an understanding of how to balance a bait. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 8:42 PM, Flaswimbaiter said:

This says it all. If you are new to making baits, starting with a glide is quite ambitious (which is not a bad thing). Maybe try a few wakes and multi jointed baits first to get a feel for how your wood reacts to your weight and to get an understanding of how to balance a bait. 

Ok maybe that’s smart. Any references on a good one to start with? Video or youtube channels? I was thinking a jointed would be great. Maybe 5-7” 

On 5/7/2024 at 12:12 PM, AZ Fisher said:

You can find hardware at Lure Parts Online, Barlows and or Jann's Netcraft,, as well as Ebay and Amazon.                               There are quite a few bait builders on Youtube, check out Engineered Angler, he does pretty thorough job of explaining the how and why of bait building.                                                                                                                                                          Check out Tackle Tours article, "Cutting open a $400 bait". They cut open a Roman Made Mother and you can see all the weight placement in the bottom of the bait for reference.                                                                                                             Glide baits are about the most difficult baits to get right, they will take quite a bit of testing and experimentation to get a great gliding bait.                                                                                                                                                                                    Keep thorough notes, you will be surprised how much you will refer back to them                                                                       Good luck and welcome to the forum

Thanks a lot, I have watched a bunch of channels and do like the Engineered angler. Also trying to find a good 150$ kit for airbrushing. not sure if that’s reasonable for something quality. Being a woodworker I appreciate quality tools but also don’t need the best to start. Any recommendations? 

3 hours ago, T.McC said:

Ok maybe that’s smart. Any references on a good one to start with? Video or youtube channels? I was thinking a jointed would be great. Maybe 5-7” 

What ever you feel like making, a three or four piece multi jointed bait like a shad or rat or wake bait. One piece baits are fun and very effective like a spook, large crank, lipless, or oversized jerk bait. Marlins baits and engineered angler are good channels. Go back to their earlier vids. 

20240107_091201_Original.jpeg

20230503_192428.jpeg

IMG_1849.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg

20230108_110808.jpeg

Edited by Flaswimbaiter

21 minutes ago, Flaswimbaiter said:

What ever you feel like making, a three or four piece multi jointed bait like a shad or rat or wake bait. One piece baits are fun and very effective like a spook, large crank, lipless, or oversized jerk bait. Marlins baits and engineered angler are good channels. Go back to their earlier vids. 

20240107_091201_Original.jpeg

20230503_192428.jpeg

IMG_1849.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg

20230108_110808.jpeg

Thanks and nice looking work! Yeah maybe a two piece. I live near lake Champlain and mainly fish for bass both largemouth and smallmouth. I’ll try to find a good video for a 2 piece to give a try. The painting process is all new to me as well. 

2 hours ago, T.McC said:

Thanks and nice looking work! Yeah maybe a two piece. I live near lake Champlain and mainly fish for bass both largemouth and smallmouth. I’ll try to find a good video for a 2 piece to give a try. The painting process is all new to me as well. 

For painting definitely check out Marlins baits. Do you have the equipment yet? If not make a separate post asking for help, he have guys on here who make their own baits at others who paint blanks. Both of which have decades of experience.  I bought cheap blanks on Aliexpress to practice on. 

12 hours ago, Flaswimbaiter said:

For painting definitely check out Marlins baits. Do you have the equipment yet? If not make a separate post asking for help, he have guys on here who make their own baits at others who paint blanks. Both of which have decades of experience.  I bought cheap blanks on Aliexpress to practice on. 

I don’t have equipment. I will make a post now. What Bates did you find that is a good idea to practice on some cheap ones