lure_learning

MF plastic users please help

I am having problems with my baits turning dull and sticking together after a few days bagged up. These are mainly sticks but have also had the same issues with non-salted baits as well. Calhouns plastic always produced nice glossy baits for me and I never had an issue with baits sticking together. Has anyone had these issues?

I have tried to bag them at different periods after pouring: waiting 4 hours, 8 hours, 24 hours, but all have the same result. They look great after they are poured but that doesn't last long. :censored:

I have also tried to apply some worm oil before bagging and the only thing that seems to do is delay the problem by maybe a week or so. Either I recieved a bad 5 gal of plastic or softener or someone else must be incountering the same. Please help, I am at wits end :censored:

thanks!

I have used M-F plastisol after switching from Calhoun's for over a year now. I have never had that problem but it sounds to me like your plastisol was not mixed wel enough.

I would CALL Robert at M-F right away and talk with him about your problem. They will be able to answer you and also, they will make it right for you!!!

I buy my plastisol in 5 gallon containers and always mix my plastic about an hour before pouring by just shaking the container left to right several times. I then mix it gently prior to retreiving any plastic out of the container.

M-F does not settle like Calhoun's or M-F but not mixing it will allow the resins to sink to the lower portion of the container and give you a super soft, sticky bait. I never use worm oil on my baits just a little salt to keep them from sticking together.

Jim

thanks Jim

I don't think that is the problem though because I really shake the heck out of the 5 gal before separating into 1 gallon containers. I also shake the heck out of the 1 gals. before heating. How and when do you apply the salt?

I will call Robert again on this issue and hopefully we could figure something out.

Hey Jim have you had any problems with air bubbles since switching to M-F.I'm using Calhoun's now and can't get rid of the bubbles.I know you had a lot of post's on this topic a while back.I only bought a gallon to try out a couple of months ago.I thought the problem was supposed to be fixed?

I'm not trying to bash any particular product or even suggest one may be better than the other. I can only give you my experience with M-F as I currently use it.

Many others have experience with the other plastisols out there and can give you current info on the products they are using.

Having the ability to exchange ideas and learn from others is what this forum is all about....we can't let anything get in the way of that B) ...

Jim

A little off topic here.......

This has been eating me, but now I remember why I quit using MF. First off, like lots of guys, I use the microwave to cup transfer method. I used to have a really bad problem with the plastic sticking to those tin cups after I'm done pouring. I'd spend like 5 minutes just getting the cooled plastic out of the cup. Do any of you guys have this problem? Any ways to resolve this?

I think it's MF for me if I can solve this problem. :?

Chris, I've never poured MF with tin cups but I think its great. It dosn't stink and also is thinner at a cooler temp causing me to reheat a lot less when making a large batch of sticks. The memory is a lot less than Calhouns or lurecraft as well.

Thanks for the response. Do you use MF with production pots then? I'm trying to figure out a way to make my method work with MF. :cry:

Chris, I use the pyrex to tin cup method with M-F. I do not have a problem at all with the plastic sticking to the cups. It pulls out in one neat piece. I also use production pots with great results. When I used to use Calhoun's, it seemed like it took me forever to get the plastic out of my production pots. It works a lot better for me with M-F.

alsworm

With MF and Lurecraft I can pull the plastic out of the cup or pan that is paper thin, like .010"! Everytime I do I am still amazed on how great there products are! Only time It will break apart is when I add lots of salt for chunk trailer, then it will break but still come out with no problems.

Are your pans scratched? Does it pull out of the pryrex dish easier than the pan? If so, that could be your problem.....

I pour out of lee pots and was having problems with getting the plastic out it took forever, so after I cleaned it and took the wire brush to it and got it looking new I took some lure craft tournament scent put some drops down the side walls and pour spout took a paper towel wiped the pot and pour spout down and now I have no problems. Usually burnish the pot after 3 seperate pours. Then repeat. Try that and see if it helps

Chris-- I have a very low tech way to clean the pans. I use a plain paper towel to "clean" the residue out of the pots. It maybe takes 30 seconds max to get it back to a clean state.

I just ball up a fresh paper towel and sort of scrub the sides down-- lickety split I am back in business. I do get plastic "crumbs" on my shirt when doing it that way but it is fast and efficient.

I am on my third 5 gallon pail of MF and ready to order another one as I really like it and no bubbles. Calhouns is a good product but the MF is the best in my opinion.

See ya