smalljaw

Shocking Surprise With New Hooks!

For all you tackle makers out there looking for a bargain but still wanting quality look no further. I got a shipment of hooks on Fridy and just sat down a little while ago to sort them out and after a hour of comparing them with other hooks I'm now wondering if I need to evaluate my hook choice or how I look at hooks period. I got a good deal on some Eagle Claw 2798 flat eye hooks from Captain Hooks, I got them for my own personal use as nobody wants a jig with an Eagle Claw hook. These are a Platinum black needle point hook that is comparable to the Mustad 32798 60 degree flat eye jig hooks, I had to really make sure I didn't mix them up and kept checking and rechecking to make sure I was looking at the right hook because the Eagle Claws I got were sharper than the Mustads I have, yep, thats right, your eyes aren't fooling you, I said the Eagle Claw hooks were sharper than the Mustad 32798 hooks I've been using. One thing I never do is fool people without letting them know later, if someone wants a jig with a Gammy hook thats exactly what they get and most who ask wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I know this as I made free jigs for guys to try and told them they were using a new Gammy hook when it was another brand hook and they raved about it until I told them. But if some is buying the jig I'd never do that but what I will do is let them know I have a better hook that is less expensive than my tried and true Mustads, although they are cheaper it is only by a few dollars but still that adds up on large orders. So, if anyone was looking for the Mustad 32798, you may want to try out a few of those Eagle Claw EL2798, a pretty good hook at a good price! And just so you all know, I really like Mustad hooks, I have hooks from Owner, Gamakatsu, and Sohumi and I still use Mustad as they are a great hook and the best bang for the buck but I have to look again, maybe it is just a few styles of hooks from Eagle Claw but these ones and the EL111BP are killer hooks.

Smalljaw,

You and I and about a handful of people are starting to use these hooks. I have been using the EL111BP hooks for about 2 months, and all I can say is that they are super sharp. I myself have been a die hard Mustad user. However I also look for good quality hooks and good prices. With that said. I am very impressed with the Eagle Claw needle point black pearl hooks. I would have never believed it until I started using them. I know that Eagle Claw wasn't a mainstay for jig makers, and they got a bad rap because as you know all of their jig hooks at one time were bronze coated, and the bronze hooks rusted if you didn't dry them out well. So I have to give accolades to Eagle Claw for changing their manufacturing process and making better hooks available to us jig makers. Keep up the good work, and I believe that their sales will increase if they keep giving guys good product. I will be the first one to promote their hooks from my end if their quality and variety increase.

So guys don't think this is your grandfathers old Eagle Claw hooks. Give them a try and I'm sure you will be happy with what you get.

I have always prefered Mustad hooks, especially their lite wire EWG hooks for worms and lizards.

When I bought my football jig mold from Do-It, I ordered the Eagle Claw 2/0 90degree hooks they sell for it at the same time.

I also ordered some 3/0 and 4/0. I wanted the longer hook shank to get the hook to the back of the hula grubs I want to fish on the jigs.

The 3/0 and 4/0 are a little heavier wire, but still a light wire hook.

They all seem very good so far. Sharp, and they don't bend out easily. The longer the hook, the more leverage there is to spring, or bend out, and I was happy that the larger hooks have a little heavier wire.

I'll let you know what my experience is as to how sharp the hooks stay, and how they perform with a good sized wiggley green creature stuck on them, after I've fished them a while longer.

Edited by mark poulson

When I bought my football jig mold from Do-It, I ordered the Eagle Claw 2/0 90degree hooks they sell for it at the same time.

I also ordered some 3/0 and 4/0. I wanted the longer hook shank to get the hook to the back of the hula grubs I want to fish on the jigs.

The 3/0 and 4/0 are a little heavier wire, but still a light wire hook.

They all seem very good so far. Sharp, and they don't bend out easily. The longer the hook, the more leverage there is to spring, or bend out, and I was happy that the larger hooks have a little heavier wire.

I'll let you know what my experience is as to how sharp the hooks stay, and how they perform with a good sized wiggley green creature stuck on them, after I've fished them a while longer.

Mark for years when I made the Snootie jig I used Eagle Claw hooks as I din't know any better at the time. I've caught a lot of bass on those old Eagle Claws and I found them to be sharp, but those bronze hooks rusted very easily. That's why I believe Mustad got such a good rap because with there black nickle hooks you never had any rusting issues. With Eagle Claw now re-tooling I think you will see a switch and change in things. This makes it always good as there will be more of a selection, especially when one company is out of hooks.

Those EC EL111BP must be catching on, mine have been on backorder from the Captain. I hope they come in soon.

Fuzzy,

The reason there aren't any of those hooks is because I bought them all. 8O8O:eek: I have a box of 1000 of each size

The only ones that are out of stock are the 4/0, and I am on there 1st come 1st serve list as soon as they come in, so I will be set for awhile.

cadman,

I think you're right about Eagle Claw re-tooling. The hooks I got were labeled bronze on the website when I bought them, but I swear they're black nickel.

I use my old bronze hooked jigs for practice jigs, since they all break off at the start of the curve from being rusted by the salt in the trailers. Hahaha

Fuzzy,

The reason there aren't any of those hooks is because I bought them all. 8O8O:eek: I have a box of 1000 of each size

The only ones that are out of stock are the 4/0, and I am on there 1st come 1st serve list as soon as they come in, so I will be set for awhile.

I'm waiting on a couple of hundred 3/0's, you hook hog! :D.

I'm waiting on a couple of hundred 3/0's, you hook hog! :D.

The last order of the EL111BP I got from Captain Hook was about 4 months ago and I got 500 of them and the 4/0 were on back order. Those are the hooks that made me order the 2798s, for the price they would be great for my personal jigs and I'd never run out but I'm going to have to show these around to some local anglers. Mark, my football mold uses the 60 degree hooks and the EL111BP with a hula grub on the back is killer, I never lost a fish that was stuck with that hook. I think it has a quiet following among jig makers, you never hear anyone talk about them but when you go to get them the 3/0 or 4/0 is always on back order.

The last order of the EL111BP I got from Captain Hook was about 4 months ago and I got 500 of them and the 4/0 were on back order. Those are the hooks that made me order the 2798s, for the price they would be great for my personal jigs and I'd never run out but I'm going to have to show these around to some local anglers. Mark, my football mold uses the 60 degree hooks and the EL111BP with a hula grub on the back is killer, I never lost a fish that was stuck with that hook. I think it has a quiet following among jig makers, you never hear anyone talk about them but when you go to get them the 3/0 or 4/0 is always on back order.

Smalljaw, I too have been waiting for over 4 months for the 4/0 as well. Probably the most common hook used. BTW, "I think it has a quiet following among jig makers," Pssst don't tell anyone it will be our little secret.

The quality of the mustads has went downhill bad in the last year seems to me. I heard they were being made in china now but don't know how true it is. I've used about every hook on the market in the last 20 years and almost every jig in my boat are tied with eagle claws. I've never had any problems with them. I use the L730bp and the EL111bp. Been using the 111 for over a year and love it. Hate to hear they are on b.o. Cant wait to try the new needlepoints. I think a lot of jig tyers are going to start using them if they have got as many bad mustads as I have over the last year. The Eagle Claws and made in the good ole' U.S.A. too!!

The quality of the mustads has went downhill bad in the last year seems to me. I heard they were being made in china now but don't know how true it is. I've used about every hook on the market in the last 20 years and almost every jig in my boat are tied with eagle claws. I've never had any problems with them. I use the L730bp and the EL111bp. Been using the 111 for over a year and love it. Hate to hear they are on b.o. Cant wait to try the new needlepoints. I think a lot of jig tyers are going to start using them if they have got as many bad mustads as I have over the last year. The Eagle Claws and made in the good ole' U.S.A. too!!

Softworm,

Yes Mustads are made in China if I recall they closed their U.S facility, so they could make them more affordable. I too have heard a lot of negative comments about their quality. I have bought Mustads in the past with no complaints, however as of late, I am concerned about ordering their hooks. We all shall see how this comes out. Go.......................Eagle Claw. Maybe Eagle Claw will regain its #1 spot again.

Smalljaw,

You and I and about a handful of people are starting to use these hooks. I have been using the EL111BP hooks for about 2 months, and all I can say is that they are super sharp. I myself have been a die hard Mustad user. However I also look for good quality hooks and good prices. With that said. I am very impressed with the Eagle Claw needle point black pearl hooks. I would have never believed it until I started using them. I know that Eagle Claw wasn't a mainstay for jig makers, and they got a bad rap because as you know all of their jig hooks at one time were bronze coated, and the bronze hooks rusted if you didn't dry them out well. So I have to give accolades to Eagle Claw for changing their manufacturing process and making better hooks available to us jig makers. Keep up the good work, and I believe that their sales will increase if they keep giving guys good product. I will be the first one to promote their hooks from my end if their quality and variety increase.

So guys don't think this is your grandfathers old Eagle Claw hooks. Give them a try and I'm sure you will be happy with what you get.

Hey Cadman, would you be willing to send out a couple samples of those EL111BP?? I'd like to take a look at them prefferably without having to buy 100. I'd be happy to pay for them.

Hey Cadman, would you be willing to send out a couple samples of those EL111BP?? I'd like to take a look at them prefferably without having to buy 100. I'd be happy to pay for them.

If you like them Haxx5300 and want them I suggest you pre order them, I got a bunch on my last order as they seem to sell out really quick. If you haven't seen the hook the best way to describe it is a 60 degree Mustad 91768 that is more stout. I'm using them to in a 3/0 size for a 1/4oz finesse football head with a fine sparse skirt using small trailers and it is an awesome jig and every fish I stuck with stayed hooked, not lost fish. Captain Hooks has them for less than 6 dollars per 100 on the 3/0 size.

I too have been looking at this. How is the durability of the point compaired to the mustad?

I personally like these as they are strong hooks, also now I can have an EWG hook that will fit in all the 60 degree regular eye molds. I've sold quite a few and have never had any complaints. The guys were really surprised that these were Eagle Claw.

I too have been looking at this. How is the durability of the point compaired to the mustad?

I made a jig for a friend with that hook to try out, he used it all last season and told me it is still as sharp as the day I gave it to him, and he is draging the jig over rock piles in 8' to 12' of water, so I'd say the point is pretty good. Even the ones I make for myself I haven't had a problem, it is why I wanted others to fish them and tell me how it performed and as cadman said, not a single complaint. The 2798 hooks I just got look just as good, I'm really happy with these.

I'm going to have to get some and give them a try. I'd much rather use a USA hook then a China hook.

I'm sure you're going to like them. I just poured an order for 100 brush jigs, 100 Snooties and 100 football and I had no problem pouring them. They look good and they poured flawlessly which made me wonder, why so perfect. So I measured the Mustad 32786 wire diameter against the Eagle Claw EL111BP hooks. Here are the results:

Mustad 32786:.................3/0.............(.057 dia.)

Mustad 32786:.................4/0.............(.061 dia.)

Mustad 32786:.................5/0.............(.065 dia.)

Mustad 32786:.................6/0.............(.069 dia.)

Eagle Claw EL111BP:.................3/0.............(.052 dia.)

Eagle Claw EL111BP:.................4/0.............(.056 dia.)

Eagle Claw EL111BP:.................5/0.............(.060 dia.)

Eagle Claw EL111BP:.................6/0.............(.062 dia.)

Eagle Claw EL111BP:.................7/0.............(.064 dia.)

What this proves is that the Eagle Claw are slightly thinner than the Mustads. Now before you jump to conclusions, this has no effect on the hook whatsoever. I took the Eagle Claws and tried to bend them and it took some force, with 2 pairs pf pliers, where at some point the hooks snapped. The reason I posted this was to show you guys that even a hook that is .005" thinner will almost always pour perfectly. The reason being is this. When the hook sits in the mold and is trapped by the hook eye and the hook shank, the biggest pouring problem will always be by the hook shank near the collar or barb. Well when you have a smaller diameter hook, any air that the lead pushes through as it pours in will go out the hook shank area. This is definitely a good thing as you will get really good pours. How do I know this occurs on this hook? I just guessed, no not really. When I poured all the jigs above, what I noticed when I poured the EC hooks, is that I was getting a small amount of excess lead coming out below the collar or barb. I have seen this before when you put a smaller hook in a bigger cavity and this tells me that air is escaping and the void being filled by lead. This is just an FYI for all you guys . Sorry to ramble on, but thought this might help.

BTW I didn't have a 7/0 Mustad hook to compare to since the biggest I use is a 6/0 for crappie.

Edited by cadman

You guys obviously know a ton more about jig hooks that I do. My problem is that the U.S. jig hook maker/makers do not offer the style of hook that I think I prefer. Certainly if Eagle Claw could access this site and begin making all of the more sought after jig hooks to the same quality and configuration it would be a no brainer for the forum goers to use the U.S. hook makers offerings. If Eagle Claw is listening: Don't forget to copy the new mustad steelhead jig hooks in the smaller 2/0, 1/0 and #1 sizes you will probaby sell quite a few.

You guys obviously know a ton more about jig hooks that I do. My problem is that the U.S. jig hook maker/makers do not offer the style of hook that I think I prefer. Certainly if Eagle Claw could access this site and begin making all of the more sought after jig hooks to the same quality and configuration it would be a no brainer for the forum goers to use the U.S. hook makers offerings. If Eagle Claw is listening: Don't forget to copy the new mustad steelhead jig hooks in the smaller 2/0, 1/0 and #1 sizes you will probaby sell quite a few.

Wilfish, EC probably has more styles than most and I have found an EC hook for every mold I own so I'm not sure what kind of jig hook you're talking about but I imagine they have a style you may use. The biggest problem is perception, as tackle makers were kind of lucky as a lot of times we make something for someone else who may want an expensive hook or an inexpensive hook so we kind of see all the brands and know more than the average angler. I've proved that most anglers can't tell the difference between the new EC black pearl finished hooks and a Gamakatsu, and it is true, I've told 10 anglers that specify they olny want Gamakatsu hooks in their jigs as the Eagle Claws are junk, and so I made them a free jig to try out the new style Gammakatsu, which was the EL111BP by Eagle claw. What happened is every single one raved about the new hook, and they were actually worried that it would make the jig cost too much and the looks I got when I told them the hook they like so much was actually an Eagle Claw. 2 of the anglers got mad at me but only for a minute or 2 while most didn't believe it untll I showed them, and 1 angler really thanked me as he now buys Lazer sharp worm hooks in all sizes, I saved him so much money and he still gets great performance and yes, he is fishing tournaments with them. Eagle Claw got a bad rep due to the bronze hooks of yesterday that would become dull and rust over time but the new laser sharps with the black pearl finish are some of the best hooks around at a fraction of the price, the only thing is changing the perception people have. Try that EL111BP Wilfish, or the 2798, I think once you get past the Eagle Claw cheap perception, you'll see a really good hook, I know I did and I even said it surprised me.