tnfishdaddy

Starting Color Kit

I have my airbrush on order. I have a compressor. I am trying to put together an order for paints. I am not trying to buy every color under the sun to start out but want to put together a good selection of paints to start out with. Help me build that list. What colors do you guys think are essentials? What colors should I start with?

If you have an idea of what color cranks you like to fish then order accordingly or you can take a look in the gallery and see if there is anything there that interests you.

You will definitely need black and white. Blue, red, yellow, green are much used colors and you can also mix them to get even more colors. Don't worry. If your like the rest of us you'll end up with more colors of paint than you'll ever use.

Ben

I personally would not get plain old opaque red, blue green yellow and such I would get more natural colors most with a hint or more of reflective value I have a green metallic that is spot on for bass and pan fish I would get Sepia not brown it is an earth tone of brown but more natural and can be layered up to obtain a darker hue if needed. Base coat white and top coat transparent black is a must and I would get at least 4oz bottles of those as you will use them on almost every bait. Flo red and orange is a good choice for highliights of gills, throats, vent and fins. As stated though you will wind up buying colors as if they were candy after you get started.

I started with a transparent color kit and that got me started though I added transparent black and pearl white quickly

I did mix an olive green variant for my pike/perch/walleye reproductions so add on little bottles for common mixes

I use lots of pearl white, silver and gold

And let’s not forget the various fluorescents

Edited by aulrich

I should have stated I like the transparent colors over opaque. If you want a more opaque color just spray more coats of a transparent paint. As far as different hues, or shades, of colors like blues, greens, reds, etc. I do a good bit of mixing to get the exact colors I want. By doing it this way I cut down on the number of different colors I have to buy. You can easily spend a LOT of money just buying different shades of one color.

As most know I'm not an artist by any meaning of the word. I tend to paint simpler, old school, color patterns and what I do works for me.

Ben

Another great thing to do is find the cheapest clear blanks you can to do some throwaway baits. Do some experimenting with the colors you get, and see how different they look when sprayed over different colors.

An extreme example: chartreuse over clear is different than chartreuse over white, and is not even in the same ballpark over black.

Edited by osutodd

Hi guys,

Does anyone use Com-Art paint? I found a supplier in South Africa that can bring it in. Otherwise I have been using the Daler Rowney artists ink, not too bad. I have also ordered the Testors Aztek paints from Dinger Baits, just waiting for SA customs to allow it to be shipped into SA........can't wait to use them, the colours look great!!!! 

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to get paint from the USA into other countries? Has anyone done this before?

Regards,

Garreth

Hi guys,

Does anyone use Com-Art paint? I found a supplier in South Africa that can bring it in. Otherwise I have been using the Daler Rowney artists ink, not too bad. I have also ordered the Testors Aztek paints from Dinger Baits, just waiting for SA customs to allow it to be shipped into SA........can't wait to use them, the colours look great!!!!

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to get paint from the USA into other countries? Has anyone done this before?

Regards,

Garreth

Hi Garreth,

I'm a South African as well, will you share your supplier's contact details with me becuase I find it really hard sourcing good quality paints locally.

Here is a $100 order that will cover a large range when mixed. Blick has all these.

Createx colors:

opaque white, black, yellow

Transparent: canary yellow, Dk forest green, dk brown, gray

Iridescent: yellow, green, red

Pearl: copper, blue, white, satin gold (Just a quick misting spray of this across a bait looks amazing once clear coated)

Fluorescent yellow

Wicked colors: Detail sepia, Pearl black, Fluorescent sunburst.

airbrush cleaner, restorer, w 500 nreducer

Rustoleum 2x coverage silver and gold. These can be decanted into an airbrush by spraying them into a 3/4 inch tube which drains into the cup.

laquer thinner.

Opaque white, black and yellow.  White for a base, blk/yellow for shades of green.  Makes a very nice range of olive green for back & side color.

Transparent yellow, blue, green, brown, grey, orange.  Black and white for tint and shade when mixing colors. 

Pearl white, silver, black and gold....maybe copper

Iridescent blue, yellow, and green.

Probably missed a few transparent colors but not a bad place to start out.  Good luck painting...just know that if you start you can't stop :yay: