swampman

Wire sizes for 3/8 and 1/2 oz spinnerbaits

The reason one has a longer arm is because of the head size difference. Ideally you want your wire to have the same anchor point inside the head, it is usually the thickest part of the head a little forward of the center point. So when you set your wire in the 1/2oz cavity it will sit further back that it would in the 3/8oz cavity. So if the wire forms are the same length your 1/2oz bait will actually look to be made on a smaller wire form. I buy and bend my own wire 99% of the time, I do have pre made wire forms that I use in a pinch but I will normally cut them to my own specs and the reason being is the length of wire can make a difference in what you want the bait to do. I like .035 but I still use .031 on occasion for the sizes you listed, good luck .

• Like 2

No. It's the nature of these molds. If you anchor the wire form, the hook will pretty much stay in place. The way I do this is to take that gosh awful retail hanger off of my mold. Put a piece of masking tape on the mold where the wire form goes thru the mold. Don't let the tape interfere with the sprue or the cavity. It has to be small and thin. Then open the mold on a flat surface. This is how you have to load it with wire form and hook. Measure the distance from your flat work surface to the face of the mold. Now cut a piece of wood that distance and lay that piece where your wire form is supported on it as it lays on the mold. You put that piece right against the mold where the wire form hangs off to support it. Put the wireform and hook in and close the mold. Turn the mold where the sprue is up and put your wire form in line with the mold. Only work with one cavity at a time. Too much going on to pour more than one at a time. Now, I pour mine with the Lee bottom pour but some guys ladle pour as the wire form kinda gets in the way of the bottom pour. I would like to do some pics for you but I go on the road for a week starting tomorrow and will be away from my stuff. Pics are worth a thousand words, they say and I understand that. If you still need help in a week, I'll be glad to do that.

• Like 2

I have this mold also but I pour with a hot pot II which is just like using a ladle.  I close the loop of the wire form on the hook eye, that seems to help some.  After laying the wire/hook in the mold in the position wanted, I close the mold and use my thumb to hold the wire end in the centered position while pouring with my other hand.  Just a little down pressure on the upper end of the wire form holds it in place.  I pour with my left hand, hold the mold with my right.  The hook centers itself since the mold is held upright to pour.  Works for me.

• Like 2