nova

3 Way Split Cup

I just completed my first pour with a 3 way split cup. Really an interesting looking bait.

I used a 4 cup pyrex cup and zinc flashing.

My camera crapped out on me or I would have posted a pic but I think you guys who have made a split cup can visualize what it would look like. Hint:- don't use 2 pieces of flashing; just use one piece and fold it over.

Has anyone else tried this?

www.novalures.com

I have a few Nil but I am not real happy yet with the results I am getting. I thought I was going to be able to get true 3 color baits but I am getting some swirling. i made some really good morning dawn though and the best part is.... NO COLD CRACKS!!!! :D

Still need to practice more but time for playing is really limited as orders are hot and heavy...

I'd like to see your bait results as well.

Jim

I have a few Nil but I am not real happy yet with the results I am getting. I thought I was going to be able to get true 3 color baits but I am getting some swirling. i made some really good morning dawn though and the best part is.... NO COLD CRACKS!!!! :D

Still need to practice more but time for playing is really limited as orders are hot and heavy...

I'd like to see your bait results as well.

Jim

Well there. I figured if anyone had tried it, it would be you Jim.

I've just done the one pour with scrap plastic to see how it worked. I get the swirls as well but I rather like them.

I made the center pour spout a little higher than the glass spout.(easier to take metal off rather than put it on;lol) What level did you do yours?

I found that if I pour very close to the sprue I get a better separation with less of the swirling action.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

Sort of Mark. You may get one like that but then it is a crap shoot.

You hit on the issue with a 3 part cup though. It is tough enough to get a 2 part close enough to the center for good laminate pour results but with 3 areas to fill and be close gets real iffy. A lot of baits are partial 3 colors then 2 or one dominate color with the others swirled.

I though I might be able to pour a 3 part bait (ie Aaron's Magic) with this cup but my results are mixed and inconsistent. Hand pouring each layer is still far better results to me.

Jim

Sort of Mark. You may get one like that but then it is a crap shoot.

You hit on the issue with a 3 part cup though. It is tough enough to get a 2 part close enough to the center for good laminate pour results but with 3 areas to fill and be close gets real iffy. A lot of baits are partial 3 colors then 2 or one dominate color with the others swirled.

I though I might be able to pour a 3 part bait (ie Aaron's Magic) with this cup but my results are mixed and inconsistent. Hand pouring each layer is still far better results to me.

Jim

Another great idea shot all to he!! :lol:

Everything you said makes perfect sense.

Another great idea shot all to he!! :lol:

Everything you said makes perfect sense.

Hardly shot to heck if you like swirls. Sure not every bait is the same but then again not every baitfish or insect is the same either. Trust me the fish really don't mind.

I do understand that the fishermen mind; but then again they don't eat the baits they only buy them.

www.novalures.com

I made a 3 part cup a few weeks after I posted the first Divided Cup on this site.

I wanted to pour Aaron’s Magic, I had a hard time working with 3 colors and

The results were inconsistent/poor. Nice to see a lot of people have made

A Divided Cup, and are making great looking Baits with them.

Well there; I didn't know who came up with it, now I do. Thanks.

Maybe you could post a pic for the guys who don't quite know how to make one, as my camera has gone in the trash.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

Jim...

Is your pm box full or do you not accept pm's?

Ok guys; here's what I came up with.

Part 1 has to be cut and folded. The front section cut will go inside the dividers of the cup and the back part of the fold will go outside of the dividers.

Part 2 is put on top of part 1 and held together with one pop rivet which will act as a pivet point. Part 2 has a handle attached with two pop rivets. The handle extends back to the handle of the cup to be operated with your thumb.

The pointed section of part 2 will act as a gate to control the flow of plastic from the center of the cup.

The main problem I'm running into is that the gate hole plugs up a little.

Hint:- please don't attach this to your cup and then try to heat it in the micro. I know the "old timers" wouldn't do it, but I'm afraid a "newbie" might.

If anyone improves on this please post your changes.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

Ok guys; here's what I came up with.

Part 1 has to be cut and folded. The front section cut will go inside the dividers of the cup and the back part of the fold will go outside of the dividers.

Part 2 is put on top of part 1 and held together with one pop rivet which will act as a pivet point. Part 2 has a handle attached with two pop rivets. The handle extends back to the handle of the cup to be operated with your thumb.

The pointed section of part 2 will act as a gate to control the flow of plastic from the center of the cup.

The main problem I'm running into is that the gate hole plugs up a little.

Hint:- please don't attach this to your cup and then try to heat it in the micro. I know the "old timers" wouldn't do it, but I'm afraid a "newbie" might.

If anyone improves on this please post your changes.

www.novalures.com

Sorry, not seeing it, need a pic.

Dave