canuck

Spinnerbait Upper Arm End Loop Question

Hello all.

I have been loosing a lot of ss ball bearing swivels and blades off the upper arm of my spinner baits lately.

I am using .035  and .o40 wire frames .

I use needle nose pliers to turn the end loop and try to keep a neet round profile to the loop.I have tried having the end of wire finnish just touching directly behind the main arm wire and also tried  just slightly to the side of the main arm wire to close off  and  eliminating any room for the swivel or the split ring to pass while in use.

I have tried swivels with fine  snap rings on each end and swivels with large hole  for the wire  with one snap ring connecting to blade .

Unfortunately there has still been the odd loss of swivel and blade.

I use american quality ball bearings that run approximately $1 each and I  follow the size chart for blade size and combos but the frustration of haveing them drop off or comming off during a strike is getting to me.

I have contemplated trying to do a full coil wrap like a snap ring but that eliminates the large hole swivel style that I prefer.

I have heard about the over wire hook type bend closure style but dont really want to sacrafice the wire length to attain it.

I have even concidered varnishing or glueing the wire overlap to seal the gap to prevent any further losses.

Leader crimp sleaves with a slight design change to the end loop would work , but still have a loss of arm wire  length.

Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom or  knowledge that you may generously  share. Cheers

I have a video on how to do close the loop, I call it my lock-bend loop and it takes a bit of practice but once you have it down it is easy.

EDIT: For some reason I have been unable to post links on this site, anyway since it won't let me post the link here is where you go. Go to You Tube and type in "smalljaw, how to lock a spinnerbait blade" in the search bar and my video should be there, this should help you out.

Edited by smalljaw
  • Like 1

Thanks smalljaw. Your video and experience make the solution seam so simple. I will incorporate the locking loop into my bait design. You have saved me a ton of frustration and will save me quite a few swivels and blades. Cheers from Canada eh!!

Found out that the number 2 fine wire snap rings I  have been using has caused a lot of my blade loss .

Sometimes the blade and ring would easily slide out around the wire loop and drop off under pressure of a fish thus  loosing the blade. 

Other times the blade was able to open or split the ring and  work its way off and leave the snap ring attached to the upper arm.

I will up grade quality and size as well as do the  small jaw locking technique in future.