dchance

Lead Pouring Safety Question

Don't eat. Don't lick your fingers. :nuhuh: Don't smoke. (WHILE YOU ARE POURING) You'll be ok. I have been pouring since way before you were born and I still have only 2 eyes. :lolhuh:

Jig Man you're killing me. :lolhuh::lolhuh::lolhuh: . What you should have said is "You'll be fine eventually you'll have a third eye to see better"

Edited by cadman

Pete,

There is a lot of controversay on this. But I follow what Jig Man says. Also protect your face and eyes. I also do a lead, blood test at my doctor's office every year and I come back normal. (Well maybe not really). But if you have a lead test done go to your doctor not a lab. A lab will set you back $100. My doctor only charges $30. I think that is the best test of all.

I agree - the lead test is a good idea if you pour a lot. These days, I am only pouring very sporadically.

As far as covering your face and eyes - YES!!!! I should have mentioned that, but I thought that had been mentioned (my mistake!). i also forgot to add that as soon as I am done pouring, I wipe my hands with baby wipes - several times. Make sure the baby wpes have EDTA in them. I do that BEFORE I touch anything else.

The list above is NOT all inclusive - there are several threads - inlcuing one sticky to look at.

Pete

Ted, define normal please, anybody with this addiction is by definition is not normal.LOL

Rodney

Wow, do you really have to ask me this question. Ok, well then I don't come back from the doctor normal. But I don't think I go in their normal either. :?:?:? So what does that make me double not normal????? Figure that one out a double negative. :lolhuh::lolhuh::lolhuh:

Edited by cadman

I am on the same page as Jig man, I pour in my basement that has a concrete floor and I keep a good bit of ventilation going but I'm still inside. From reading about this a lot and talking to a friend of mine who works at a battery plant and my doctor, I feel as if you don't lick your fingers or get it in cuts and make sure you wash your hands you'll be ok. From what I've read, is that lead does not become vaporized and airborne until it gets to over 900 degrees and our melting pots aren't capable (at least mine aren't) of getting the lead that hot. That means most of what you need to worry about are solids and the risk of getting burned. One thing I always do is wear safety glasses, and I do it as I can't even imagine what molten lead splashing into ones eye might do.