crab05

Crackle Look On Crankbait

The devil is in the details.  I tried it using acrylic crackle medium and could not get one side of the bait to look like the other.  It takes some experimentation but if you are doing one surface like the back of a lure, you should be able to get a pattern that satisfies you.  Just read the directions on the bottle and start from there.

• Like 1

The basic reason a paint scheme crackles is that the under coat of paint is weaker than the last coat, so when the last coat dries and shrinks, the coat under is isn't strong enough to keep the shrinking paint bonded, and so it crackles.

I've done it by putting on a base coat of whatever I want to see show through the crackle, and dry it thouroughly with a hair dryer.  Then I applied  a thinned coat of white carpenters glue that dries clear, and let it dry some, but not all the way.  Then I I applied the crackle top coat, and hit it with a hair dryer, so both the top paint coat and the glue dried.  

I found that the wetter, and thicker, the glue coat, the larger the crackle pattern.

I also found that the whole paint and glue scheme was softer than I liked, and prone to sticking when it got hot.

There are paints made specifically to crackle, but I've never tried them.

• Like 1

I use Elmers glue diluted with water. Can't remember the exact mixture, but there are numerous videos on YouTube describing the process. Mark is dead on about the rate at which the paint and glue dry. One dries faster than the other and that is what makes the paint "crack".

Ben

• Like 1

It has been several years since I experimented with crackle paint but one thing i about it is when using a hair dryer pay attention to how close the hair dryer is to the lure. You can achieve different looks by varying the distance the hair dryer is from the lure. The intensity of air blowing across the lure will cause the top coat to shift in different ways.

I may have to try the glue methods mentioned here since all of our experiments back then were with paint kits designed to crackle.

• Like 1

Here's a couple links to info about how to get the paint to crack. One thing I do remember is to get a truly random crackle effect is that I used an airbrush to spray the diluted Elmer's glue mixture onto the bait. It's best if you have an airbrush with a large nozzle so you don't have to dilute the glue with too much water. Also if you use a paint brush to apply the glue/water mixture then the paint tends to crack in line with the brush marks. This way is fine if straighter cracks are what your looking for.

Just remembered something else that might help. If the paint cracks really well in most places, but has some voids in certain areas you don't have to clean everything off and start over. What I did was to take the smallest paint brush I had and cut away all but a few bristles. I would then use the paint brush dipped in the underlying color to "paint" the cracks in the areas where the voids were.

good luck,

Ben

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 2

heres how I crackle musky lures. primer..base coat enamel/lacquer. sponge crackle paste onlures. let lure sit 40 minutes/tacky touch. sponge acrylic final color on lure. let set to dry... crackle mediums are now water based.. the reasoning of sponge crackles and final color is to give deeper defined crackle.

• Like 1

BTW, I tried spraying acrylic crackle medium through my airbrush once.  It came out of the brush as instant spider webs.  I don't think there is a sure fire method for doing crackle unless you are using exactly the same products as the guy teaching the method on YouTube or wherever - so it requires some experimentation. 

BTW, I tried spraying acrylic crackle medium through my airbrush once.  It came out of the brush as instant spider webs.  I don't think there is a sure fire method for doing crackle unless you are using exactly the same products as the guy teaching the method on YouTube or wherever - so it requires some experimentation. 

What size nozzle were you spraying it through Bob?

Ben

Ben, i was using .3 mm. Maybe a larger tip would have helped but I ended up just brushing the medium on the lure, which seemed to work OK. It was just an experiment to me since I'm not a big crackle fan and justbwanted to see how it looked.

That was probably the problem Bob. I haven't done a ton of crackle jobs, but on the ones I did the medium was sprayed on with the largest of the 3 tip set Paasche includes in their airbrush kit and did not have the "silly string" problem.

I tried brushing the Elmer's glue/water medium on with an artists brush and the "cracks" wanted to line up with the brush strokes. That's when I tried spraying it on with the Paasche and their #5 nozzle.

Ben

On 5/10/2015 at 8:14 AM, woodieb8 said:

heres how I crackle musky lures. primer..base coat enamel/lacquer. sponge crackle paste onlures. let lure sit 40 minutes/tacky touch. sponge acrylic final color on lure. let set to dry... crackle mediums are now water based.. the reasoning of sponge crackles and final color is to give deeper defined crackle.

Brush folk art crackle medium on your lure .dont wait like the bottle says .hit it with your airbrush and paint of your color choices .it will crackle beautifully .

On 5/12/2015 at 5:46 AM, Big Bass Man said:

If your talking to me crab, no, just spray right out of the bottle. You will just have to play around with how thick you spray it on, to get the kind of crackle you want.

Take folk art crackle medium paint it on your lure .with a brush .while its wet no waiting shoot your color on the lure from your airbrush .you'll be amazed .its beautiful .

I crackle lures all the time .take folk art cracle medium .paint it on your lure .with a brush .while its wet .dont wait like the bottle says .spray your color you want over the medium it will crackle instantly .and look beautiful. I only wait 30 seconds then paint my color on works great .try it .sometime .better fishing .i would say good luck but you wont need it .it works great .