slayer_21420

Best casting resins?

Hey all, I'm new here.

Seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable folks so here goes-

I make wooden darkhouse spearing decoys, and due to wrist injuries am limited in the amount of carving I can do anymore. I'm looking into casting decoy bodies from resin with a similar buoyancy to wood. So far I'm looking at featherlite, and alumilite (with microballoons).

which one is more durable? I'm ideally looking for something tougher than the cedar I normally use. 

Also I'm looking at mold star 16 to make my molds, is this a good choice?

I'm brand new to making silicone molds, and using casting resins so any advice/tips are greatly appreciated.

my decoys range in size from around 7"-14" if that plays a role in the most suitable medium.

thanks!

IMG_0717.JPG

• Like 1

I use alumilite  with micro balloons  and have no problems, just have to get the right formula or mixture, I make musky lures 8.5 inches.

Since you need weight to keep them down the only reason for balloons would be to save on resin. One thing that must be done is to use a primer sprayed in the molds before pouring keeps the small bubbles out.

Wayne

• Like 1

Thanks Wayne!

I need the buoyancy to keep the swim of the decoy as similar to wood as possible. The way they're weighted right now they have a nice medium glide through the water, with more weight toward the bottom of the decoy to keep them from tipping when you swim them.

what kind of primer are you spraying in the mold?

I use alumilite  with micro balloons  and have no problems, just have to get the right formula or mixture, I make musky lures 8.5 inches.

Since you need weight to keep them down the only reason for balloons would be to save on resin. One thing that must be done is to use a primer sprayed in the molds before pouring keeps the small bubbles out.

Wayne

I use one that  bonds to plastic.   You will just have to find out how much micros you will need,

Wayne

wow, those look nice man,,, Wish i had some of those carving and painting skills. Im working on it! your in theright place with your question but I dont know the answer but i do know a molding product website (aluma?) has a forum as well, you can try there if you wanna broaden your knowledge. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MarkNY said:

Slayer, that looks awesome! What kind of fish? How did the casting go? A resin project is on my list. Mark

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'll be sure to add a picture of the completed project.

It's loosely based off of a perch, but it'll look great painted up like just about anything, I think.

I'll be honest, there is a learning curve. I botched the first two attempts. First one I didn't have a large enough pour spout and the alumilite set up while I was still pouring. 

Second one the tail tail didn't completely fill in. I realized a small vent hole was needed back by the tail and that took care of the problem.

making the silicone mold itself is a bit of a process, but if you take your time it's not terribly difficult.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hoffbossn said:

wow that looks great man... are these gona be decoys or lures!?

Im thinking both! They're 8" long so should make a nice pike/musky bait.

I was just planning on casting decoys but now that I'm started and I've been looking at the posts here I think I'll have to start making some baits too.

• Like 1

Dude, that does look sick! I could see that profile being a great muskie bait or big bass swimbait!

I'm going to try my hand with resin soon.  How are you doing on finding the balance with micro baloons and resin?  I saw the engineered angler uses 10% micro baloons.

4 hours ago, Big Epp said:

Dude, that does look sick! I could see that profile being a great muskie bait or big bass swimbait!

I'm going to try my hand with resin soon.  How are you doing on finding the balance with micro baloons and resin?  I saw the engineered angler uses 10% micro baloons.

Not sure if you noticed but the post is 6 years old and the OP hasn't been on the site for 5 and a half years.

Using 8% MB's for low floating or crankdown baits and 10% for walking or waking baits will get you in the ballpark and you can adjust from there to your liking for your specific bait.  For glides I add more MB's and counter the extra buoyancy with weights in the bottom of the bait for a more stable swim.

• Haha 1