WV4432

Can you use leftover plastic pucks?

New to bait making and I can’t find much info on what to do with your leftover plastic after a pour. How many times can I re-heat my old pucks before it goes bad? Can I continuously re-melt my excess of a certain color or is that a no go?

Cut your pucks into very small pieces or find a way to grind them up. Do not try and reheat the entire puck. Go slow on the reheat. I find the brighter colors, orange, yellow, clear, will darken some after a few reheats. Not a lot, but it will be slightly noticeable. I've got pucks up the wazoo, and I'm always reusing them for something. Or blending them to experiment with colors. I just cut mine up with sharp scissors. Takes a few minutes. I'm pretty sure someone here has a better way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Get a cheap meat grinder from harbor freight. I always add some regrind to fresh plastic( same color of course) to cut down on waste. I also add heat stabilizer.

Is this electric or hand crank?

When I was a kid, back in the 50's, my mom had a cast steel pressure cooker, and a cast steel meat grinder that clamped on the pullout cutting board.  So did most of her friends, because they ground their own hamburger and sausage meat.  Different world back then.

Yes, if your plastic is good and you’re using heat correctly, you can remelt several times and still make pristine baits QA baits. I always cut up in smaller chunks and add a little fresh plastic, sometimes stabilizer but there’s stabilizer in new plastic. 

• Like 1