Saugerman

Thinning Createx

I have watched videos of  people thinning createx paint, and most say they use water and  pledge floor shine. I have looked at several places, including Wal mart and can not find this product.. I have some made from the dollar store, but it does not say on it, what ingrediates are in it. Will most any floor shine product work, as long as it's clear?

What do most of you use?

the reason a lot of guys don't use the created brand stuff is because its somewhat expensive and not all craft stores carry it.  I like to use isopropyl alcohol to thin my paints. works for createx and acrylics. the less alcohol % the more drying time it has. 70% works for me.

Pledge floor shine is just clear acrylic, it is not a wax or polish at all.  I find it works well enough, but I don't think it is needed.  To be honest, if you have the right pressure, the right needle and nozzle on your brush, you really don't need any more then just a little water.

I started out with the reducers, alcohol, no ammonia window cleaners (which are just alcohol) and if I let the bottle dry out from lack of use, a little water or reducers is important.  If I don't let the bottle thicken up, I just don't need it.

I guess I have used the air brush long enough now that it is just not a problem...... or maybe the Talon is just a really good air brush.  Who knows for sure. :?

The stuff you're looking for is Pledge "Tile & Vinyl Floor FINISH with Future Shine".  I don't use it because it has some downsides:  it's scented, which I don't like.  It will also weld your airbrush needle to the packing nut if you don't clean your airbrush carefully after using it - I had to use pliers to get the needle out of my airbrush after some dried in the barrel.  I recommend you mix it in your paint immediately before spraying, not mixing a whole bottle of paint with it and storing it because sometimes, with some paints, it will cause the pigment to drop out of suspension into a very hard deposit on the bottom of the bottle, ruining the bottle.

It's a strong acrylic finish and sprays nicely.  Some guys use it as an acrylic clear over a paint scheme if they are having problems with solvent based topcoats causing their paint to wrinkle.  It will save you some on paint, if you're into that.  I'm not, so would rather go with another thinner on the rare occasions that I think I need one. 

Edited by BobP

OK let me see if I got this Pledge floor finish is essentially a clear acrylic base?  Could I then mix pledge with pearl powder (given the powder is fine enough to shoot) and make my own paint, I have this great rainbow trout pink from before I had colorant for my soft plastics that would be great to use.  It could also be useful in making transparent colors it seems when you add enough reducer to get a color transparent the viscosity is so low it’s hard to use(at least for this newbie).

Following the thought of grocery store chemicals a friend has recommended using the cleaning product “fantastic” vs window cleaner (the ammonia thing), he tells me that chemically it is basically the same as commercial airbrush cleaner. Can anyone confirm?

Cannot confirm with the fantastic. 

Ammonia is considered bad on the Chrome of air brushes, so most advise to NOT use any ammonia window cleaner.  The rest of the NON-ammonia window cleaners are just alcohol in water.

I suspect that Fantastic would be a great cleaner for your air brush, but I would be reluctant to use it as a thinner for Createx.

Yes, I have added color tint to the Future and I found it works just fine.  I have even used the Future and added a little of the paint to create a 'candy' type coat, so ....... probably need a big needle to shoot any powder.

it seems when you add enough reducer to get a color transparent the viscosity is so low it’s hard to use(at least for this newbie).

To make paint more transparent you should be using a transparent base instead of a reducer. The reducer lowers the viscosity of the paint. (makes it thinner) The transparent base will keep the viscosity the same while making the paint more transparent. You may have to add both the reducer and the transparent base to get the paint to shoot like you want it to, but keep in mind that they're doing to different jobs. 

You can think of the transparent base as a paint with no colorant in it. By adding enough of the transparent base to your paint you can make the paint so transparent it will look almost like a candy paint and it will still shoot with no problems.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy