cadman

2 And 3 Oz. Spinnerbaits

I have some questions for your guys regarding big spinnerbaits:

Does anyone make these with .040 wire or is that too thin?

I am thinking it is too thin, however I can get .051 and .063 pre-bent wire forms, so no problem there.

I don't see anything bigger in a spinnerbait hook than 6/0, any bigger sizes anywhere else.

Any other help or advice you can give me would be appreciated. I am making 200 pieces. Thanks in advance

Edited by cadman

I have some questions for your guys regarding big spinnerbaits:

Does anyone make these with .040 wire or is that too thin?

I am thinking it is too thin, however I can get .051 and .063 pre-bent wire forms, so no problem there.

I don't see anything bigger in a spinnerbait wire than 6/0, any bigger sizes anywhere else.

Any other help or advice you can give me would be appreciated. I am making 200 pieces. Thanks in advance

Cadman,

I made 1 1/2 and 2oz spinner baits 26 years ago w/ .040 s.s. wire.We caught LMB on the 1 1/2 oz model. The 2 oz. model required a super,heavy duty flippin' rod to throw. I made them primarily for tidal water fishing in deep holes so they would drop quickly and not be affected by the tidal current.I modified an old Do-it jig mold to accept the wire form. They'll cast fine w/ a surf rod :drool:

Cadman,

I made 1 1/2 and 2oz spinner baits 26 years ago w/ .040 s.s. wire.We caught LMB on the 1 1/2 oz model. The 2 oz. model required a super,heavy duty flippin' rod to throw. I made them primarily for tidal water fishing in deep holes so they would drop quickly and not be affected by the tidal current.I modified an old Do-it jig mold to accept the wire form. They'll cast fine w/ a surf rod :drool:

Yeah, I figured .040 was too wimpy. The guy is using these for ocean fishing, so I assume he is using the correct tackle. You don't realize how big these are until you look at the mold cavity. Holy Moly are these big. You can kill somebody if you hit them in the head with these. I guess anything this big is probably geared as Musky tackle.

Edited by cadman

The Eagle Claw 254ss and 90ss are good hooks and come in sizes up to 9/0 or 10/0 iirc.

The stainless would be nice for a saltwater application and that's where I use them.

I make jigs up to 48oz so to me these are small jigs.

I just cast some squid heads in 4,5,and 6oz yesterday and some 20 oz slab jigs. Going to paint them today.

There were some heavy spinnerbaits that I think came out somewhere around the mid 90's that came in sizes up to 2 oz.  I believe the name of them was Ledgebuster. I bought several of them, but can't remember the hook or wire size. Their selling point was that they could be "slow rolled" along the bottom at a higher speeds that lighter weight baits. Not sure they're even still available today, but it might be worth a look.

Ben

I have about 300 2 and 3oz spinnerbaits i got on a swap with a tackle shop in Denver. Not dressed, just wire, multi-color painted bodies and hook. Been storing them, didn't know what to do with them. 

Snipped the stem on these to make some squid divers for cowbells. Look like most are the 3oz. Orange is 2oz. Think it's .051 wire, big hooks, shank is 1 1/8 inch, but not sure of size. Added a stinger to long one with a cable, hook, worm collar using a couple pinch sleeves.

20220130_110652.jpg

Edited by 5crows
added attachment picture

On 1/30/2022 at 8:04 AM, 5crows said:

I have about 300 2 and 3oz spinnerbaits i got on a swap with a tackle shop in Denver. Not dressed, just wire, multi-color painted bodies and hook. Been storing them, didn't know what to do with them. 

Snipped the stem on these to make some squid divers for cowbells. Look like most are the 3oz. Orange is 2oz. Think it's .051 wire, big hooks, shank is 1 1/8 inch, but not sure of size. Added a stinger to long one with a cable, hook, worm collar using a couple pinch sleeves.

20220130_110652.jpg

Pretty good idea from spinnerbait to baits for saltwater.  Good way of repurposing a bait. Job well done.