Crymdawg

Hand Tying Skirts On To Jigs With Wire

I'm looking for anyone who has ever tied jig skirts with wire. I usually use regular fly tying line then when I've gotten the look of the skirt that I want, I take some thin wire that I took off of an electric motor armature and wrap that over top of the thread. My only problem is how to tighten. How I start the process is to find the mid point of the wire and then I put that spot under the jig. Then I wrap in opposite directions then I twist the wire. The problem is that my wire breaks. If the wire stays intact I use fly tying head cement to secure the wrap of thread and wire.

That's why I'm asking fo other guys techniques. I looked on the forum search but nothing returned.

I use galvanized wire from Home Depot. It's 28 gauge, and works fine. And I can twist it until it's tight without it breaking.

I use a rubber band skirt collar to get the skirt positioned how I want it on the jig, and then I wrap the wire between the rubber and the jig head a couple of times. Finally, I twist the wire with a small pair of needle nose vice grips until it's down tight to the jig, cut the rubber collar off with an exacto knife, pull up on the twisted wire to tighten the wire around the jig, and twist again with the vice grips until the wire is tight to the jig again.

Then I cut off the twist wire, leaving about 1/2" that I bend down tight to the jig, facing the hook, and I use that twist as an additional trailer hanger.

Edited by mark poulson

I checked the diameter with my dial calipers and it came out to be 0.035. Comparing that to the AWG chart 19 gauge is 0.0359 so I'm saying 19 gauge. If I pull it too tightly I can pop it with the pliers before I even try to wrap it but I have learned to work with it.

I don't have a pic because I only use wire with living rubber. I use the collars for silicone tabs as they are faster and easier and the newer ones don't rot like they use to.

Mark P & Jig Man: Thanks for getting back to me.

Jig Man, what guage do uou think that you are using in your photo.

Could either of you guys post a photo or two of what your finished product looks like. It would really help and other jig makers as well.

CrymDawg

I like to use the green enamel coated floral wire you can get at any Ace Hardware, the galvanized works well too. http://www.midlandhardware.com/100-ft-24-Gauge-Green-Floral-Wire-Multi-Purpose-Floral-Wire_p_78099.html

Here is one of my football jigs I tied

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t389/Paxamus/274c8020.jpg

Do any of you guys put anything on the wire when you'are done wrapping, like nail polish or head cement.

Paxamus, seeing that you use both living rubber and silicone in the jig that you sent me the picture of. Do you pre-wrap the silicone with fly tying thread then use the wire once you're ok with the silicone ?

That is what I do when I tye my "Mop Jig" units. Thread for silicone then put the living rubber over top then put the wire over the living rubber.

CrymDawg

I normally use skirt bands, because I can make up a large number of skirts, then when ready to tie them, I slide them on the jig, wrap with wire and remove the band. Here is one of my mop jigs http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t389/Paxamus/6cae37d5.jpg

I just like using the bands, because I can put a whole bunch of skirts together and then tie whenever I get the chance. I would like to try the fly tying thread, might have to order a bobbin. Which thread are you using?

I use the same 24 gauge floral wire, what I like to do is make 2 wraps in opposite directions like you do and then I pull tight and using a needle nose pliers I make a single twist as close to the wraps as I can get, this allows me to trim the excess and make one more twist and then fold the reamining stem up. I do like that as it allows me to push a rubber skirt collar up and over the wire so it looks like it is banded but it is actually wire tied. I only do that for those that want it, for myself, I like switching skirts on baits, I and take 5 spinnerbaits with me and a dozen skirts and it gives me a bunch of different combonations so it is like have a lot more spinnerbaits but that is just me.

Crymdawg,

There's no need for any glue or cement with wire. It holds fine by itself.

For me, it's pretty easy to tell when the wire is tight, because, instead of being a nice straight twist, it starts to bend. When that happens I stop, and cut off the excess.

I've never had the wire cut the skirt material.

Jigman,

I had no idea the new collars don't rot! I just got so tired of opening my spinnerbait boxes and jig boxes, and finding a bunch of loose, gooey skirt material and naked baits that I started using braid and crazy glue.

Now that I've found the wire, it is so easy I use it exclusively.

I use skirt bands as well but I rol lthem on a needle nose type pliers that really isn't needle nosed, it's actually about 1/4 wide and thin. I roll the skirt band up over this, then I open the pliers a bit and slide the skirt material into it and position where I want it and roll the band off. I know there's tools available commercially to do this at Jann's etc., but this works for me. I use stainless steel wire to tie my jigs and I use this system. I slip the banded material onto the shank and position it for tying. I usually have about 18" of wire on a small vise grip type pliers. Holding the wire in front of the jig, with the pliers about even with the bottom of the jig (which is in a holder) I wrap the SS wire three times around the rubber (I find three turns is best). I then take hold of the dangling vise grip in one hand, twist the loose end around the vise grip wire and kinda make a tight twist knot. I then cut off the SS wire about 1/2" out, hold both ends together and with another vise grips that have the long snout on them, continue to twist the wires until they just about break, I cut off the outside twists just a hair outside the closest bend to the jig, bend the little tag back against the wire and whalla, you're done. Now regarding the vise grips, remember, these are the small one's, not your everyday garage sized one's and I'm not advocating there use, it's just that it's the way I started doing it and have stuck with it. No glue necessary and I really don't know the diameter of the SS wire as I manged to get a huge spool, which I'll never be able to use it all but all I can say is that it's very thin but strong.

• Like 1

when tying with wire, do any of you guys sometimes get your skirts cut by tying on the wire too tight?

Nice looking jigs there Paxamus.

At first I was cutting a few with the wire, but after a while I dont have that problem anymore.

And thanks, I finally felt like they were up to TU standards.

I use what they call safety wire. It is a special SS wire that can be twisted tight and cut without coming apart. The pliers are called safety wire pliers and imports can be bought pretty cheap just search for that name and get the small ones. They have a knob on the bottom that enables you to pull it and it twists the wire as you pull. I have two sizes of wire .015 and .020. My most favorite one is the .015. I spool it on an old thread spool with a drill and load it in a fly tying bobbin and use it from there. It is so easy to use that way you will be amaized. But I only add it to the top. Beneth I use thread just to hold it there till I top it. The .015 wire will break before the skirt gets cut. Frank

Another little tip, is get a pair of aircraft wire twist pliers. They are used by aircraft mechanics. Is a plier, vise grip, and twists wire with one tool! Oh ya one hand operation while holding jig, no need for vise. Very quick operation! Good Luck.

I also use the floral wire with these pliers. Thanks

Another little tip, is get a pair of aircraft wire twist pliers. They are used by aircraft mechanics. Is a plier, vise grip, and twists wire with one tool! Oh ya one hand operation while holding jig, no need for vise. Very quick operation! Good Luck.

I also use the floral wire with these pliers. Thanks

These are the same pliers I am talking about. Used to wire on nuts so they dont back off. Frank

These? image_17156.jpg

That is the one .... Safety Wire Pliars ... They work like a charm ... Wish I could have had these while in Air Force doing Maintenace on those good ol Recip engines (Prop Driven) ... some hard to get to places ... These work great I use 24 gauge Steel Galvanized Wire ... comes in 100 ft rolls ... use "O" rings to hold the skirt on .. after wireing it on .. roll the "O" ring off ... rarely do I cut a skirt .. will break most of the time before cutting ... Can really get a good "Flare" by "wireing it" ... Works good on spinner baits or jigs ... if you like to change skirts a lot then use the regular collars but you will not get the "Flare" ....