aulrich

Powder not fluidizing

At this point I am using the standard aquarium pump diy fluid bed. But some powders mostly automotive don't fluidize.  The other day I got two eastwood powders white and chrome the white behaved like normal, but the chrome would just not move a bit of volcano'ing but that is it. I was thinking about replacing the aquarium pump with and airbrush compressor.

Would that work?

Another option is to do a mechanical fluidizer like Engineered angler has built with a palm sander.

Some powders will fluidize better than others. Depends on what company makes it along with the powder itself. White seems to be a problematic color as it is heavier then most colors. Fluid bed media plays another important role along with the fact if there is any moisture in the powder. I have 6 fluid cups with several different medias for 6 of the most common colors I use. Picking the right media is done by trial and error. I try not to use CSI powders because they all don't fluidize, so I have a company that I buy my powder from. The only thing is you have to buy 50 lbs at a  time, which is more than most people would use in a lifetime.

As far as using a air compressor, I don't think that will solve your problem. What I believe will happen, is that you will just have bigger volcanoes and more of a mess. You can try it and see what happens, then let us know. You can also try a small vibrator attached to the cup or under the cup to move the powder around along with the air pump. I am certain that you need to look at different media for your other colors which may help solve your problem. JMO.

• Like 1

No volcanos are not normal with most powders at least with the right amount of flow, adjusted properly it just fluffs up.

I gave up on Princess Auto (Canada's HF) pretty much right out of the gate. 

One thing that just came to mind is, has somebody found a better bottom membrane IIRC my DIY fluid bed used printer paper the last time I did a batch of jigs was 4-5 years ago.  Has there been any improvement in the las few years.

One thing that has come to mind is shop vac filter bag? 

The airbrush compressor idea was I am not sure if I just need more flow or more psi or both. I know with good powders things work better. I had expected better from the brand, the white does work. There was a different chrome maybe I could do a quick exchange. 

With luck I do find my old stash of powders there was a chrome in there that actually worked there is a down side to doing 5 years of jigs at one time, stuff just wanders off.

Yes there are other medias you can try. Like mentioned brown lunch bags, Tyvek envelopes from the P.O (they're free), computer paper. vacuum bags (try different brands) and allergy pillow cases. There are many other porous things you can try that I'm sure you might have around the house.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 11:34 PM, Apdriver said:

Go to Amazon and buy an automatic pot stirrer. The cheapo 10-15 dollar one and throw the foot portion away. What you’re after is the vibrator. Tie wrap it to your cup and you won’t have any more fluidizing issue. Cheap and easy.:yes:

I am guessing you mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Automatic-Stirrer-Portable-Stainless-Eggbeater/dp/B0BMYNK9CN/ref=sr_1_17?crid=24KBKL1JG2SDT&keywords=automatic+pot+stirrer&qid=1692628074&sprefix=automatic+pot+stirrer%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-17

I can work with that.

I don’t know what you want.  I have powder paint from many sources.  It is 5-10 years old, so is my Walmart aquarium pump.  I have all kinds of filters and I use to pay attention to them.  My stuff is in the garage with no humidity control.

All of the cups have lids.  When I get ready to paint I plug in the pump, turn the powder cup upside down and back, pull off the lid, put it in the holder, take an ice cream stick and stir it.  Then it is ready to use.

• Like 1