Jig Man

Jig head flat spot

Actually I am trying to turn a 1/2 oz jig into a 7/16.  I may be making several dozen.  I have looked and not found a 7/16 football mold.  I really don’t want to go the red silicone route because I find it nearly impossible to remove.  I may have to use it and buy another mold.

Oh I see, I thought you wanted to flatten the sides. 

What I have done in the past to lessen the weight, is put in hollow metal beads, or small, pieces on aluminum rod in the mold cavity. This will take up space in your cavity and will not melt when you pour your lead. The bigger  the piece you put in the more space you will take up. It might be worth a try

I have not seen a 7/16 oz football mold either.

1 hour ago, Jig Man said:

Ted I tried 3 different beads.  I found a size that is perfect with 2 beads.  I cast 8 with the 2 beads.  6 of them were perfect.  2 of them had beads showing on the surface.  Is there a trick to keeping the beads imbedded?

If the beads have holes, put some thread through the holes and tie it suspended on the hook shank if you can. This is not the most effective way to do this, but for a couple of dozen jigs it shouldn't be too bad. You can also use very thin wire like from a small transformer.

If the beads do not have holes, you can suspend them with a little clay wrapped around the hook shank.

3 hours ago, Jig Man said:

They have holes.  I’ll try the thread.  Thanks again.I gave them a try.  It worked well.  The tying is a bit cumbersome but doable.

That looks good. Yes it is tedious and cumbersome, however it does work. Luckily you don't have to make 500 of them. LOL

If I were only doing a couple of dozen for myself, I'd take a 1/2oz jig and, using a vise to hold it, file the bottom flat until it weighed 7/16.  Then I'd just do all the rest the same.  If I got them close, I'd be happy.  A sharp file and a file card or brass wire brush, to keep the file teeth clear, and I'd be set.

1 hour ago, mark poulson said:

If I were only doing a couple of dozen for myself, I'd take a 1/2oz jig and, using a vise to hold it, file the bottom flat until it weighed 7/16.  Then I'd just do all the rest the same.  If I got them close, I'd be happy.  A sharp file and a file card or brass wire brush, to keep the file teeth clear, and I'd be set.

Mark that is where I started.  I’m sure you are better at this than I.  I did a few with a mill bastard file.  It was a pain and inconsistent.  I want them to weigh 7/16 so I had to keep checking.  Ted’s idea is a lot easier and actually faster for me.

Edited by Jig Man
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 1:47 PM, Jig Man said:

Mark that is where I started.  I’m sure you are better at this than I.  I did a few with a mill bastard file.  It was a pain and inconsistent.  I want them to weigh 7/16 so I had to keep checking.  Ted’s idea is a lot easier and actually faster for me.

When I do that, I start with clean file, count the strokes until I get the weight I want, and the file the rest with the same number of strokes, starting each one with a clean file.  The first one will take you a couple of minutes because you need to stop and weigh until you get it right.  Once you have it down to the right weight, it shouldn't take you more that a minute each for the rest, including cleaning the file. No matter the condition of the file when you start, lead is soft enough to do the job quickly and easily.  

I would surely rather invest 30 minutes to get 24 jigs the right weight than invest the cost of getting a modified mold.