Brian Martin

Savings?

You will never save money unless you are using a TON of baits.  Think about it ......... the cost of making 1 lure can cost you hundreds of dollars if you buy an injector, injector mold, microwave or presto pot, plastic, gloves, eye protection, breathiing protection, colors, glitter, softener, hardner, eyes, etc.

Even if you do it as inexpensively as possible, it will cost at least $100 w/ silicon mold, gallon of plastic, colors, glitter, microwave, pyrex measuring cup and basic safety equipment, a place to do it not to mention the learning curve and experimenting waste etc.

Ya want to save time and money for your personal lures then just buy them.  If you want to have fun making them and tweaking them just the way you want them then make them.  Nuttin better than to catch a lunker on something you made ..........

In the long run you will save money if you keep it to just a few molds and limit yourself on experimentation with colors etc.  A few molds and a good injector will last a lifetime if taken care of so you can depreciate those costs over a long time.  Its the plastic and colorants and additives that will keep piling on cost.  But if you buy by the 5 gallon and dont waste materials and make the most out of materials you will save after a good while if you make lots of baits.  Unless you normally spend close to $500 a year on plastics alone then dont plan on saving a penny your first year of making your own lol. 

It's kind of like this. You and your fishing bubby are out on your boat. It's like 90 something out there so you drink a 6 pack of Miller lite to keep cool. You feel a light tap on your line and get a nice fish. Your fishing bubby drinks a 6 pack of Ice House. He feels a light tap on his line and goes what was that? You had a great day. Your fishing bubby cares a lot less about it all. :D

Is the money saved by pouring your own baits completely offset by the cost of beer consumed while pouring of said baits for you guys too? Just askin'.

Wear jeans when you drink and pour. This way when you pour 350 degree plastic on your hand and try to shake it off, you won't also burn your leg......You'll save on your hospital stay that way! Just sayin'

• Like 2

I never really planned on saving loads of cash when I got into this. My OP was just an observation of what was happening. I enjoy it enough to not really care if it's cheaper or not. I told the wife it was gonna be alot cheaper in the long run and she bit on it. :wink: Just ordered a 10 cavity stick mold from Del too............ gonna be a bait making machine this weekend! 

You will never save money unless you are using a TON of baits.  Think about it ......... the cost of making 1 lure can cost you hundreds of dollars if you buy an injector, injector mold, microwave or presto pot, plastic, gloves, eye protection, breathiing protection, colors, glitter, softener, hardner, eyes, etc.

Even if you do it as inexpensively as possible, it will cost at least $100 w/ silicon mold, gallon of plastic, colors, glitter, microwave, pyrex measuring cup and basic safety equipment, a place to do it not to mention the learning curve and experimenting waste etc.

Ya want to save time and money for your personal lures then just buy them.  If you want to have fun making them and tweaking them just the way you want them then make them.  Nuttin better than to catch a lunker on something you made ..........

PS ............. I don't think you will save on the beer since you have to keep 2 extra 6 packs on hand to pour over the places you spilled the hot plastic ......... the cold beer will cool the plastic and the alcohol will serve as an antiseptic ........... remember ......... only pour while wearing your speedo ......... don't want to ruin your clothes

PS ............. I don't think you will save on the beer since you have to keep 2 extra 6 packs on hand to pour over the places you spilled the hot plastic ......... the cold beer will cool the plastic and the alcohol will serve as an antiseptic ........... remember ......... only pour while wearing your speedo ......... don't want to ruin your clothes

These ramblings sound like the antics of a drunk man for sure  :lolhuh: I myself, don't drink while I am pouring or injecting, but when it comes time to bag you may find me with a couple bottles of Blue Moon or a small glass of Crown.

I strongly advise against drinking and pouring. As careful as you think you are without drinking you can still have an accident. In fact being new to it you are more likely to have an accident. Plastic at temperature leaves a nasty burn which many if not all of us has experienced once. Fill your pouring cup with water, sit down at your table, tip it over to see how far it spreads and how fast.

I have yet to start pouring plastics and really want to very soon. but I have been making and pouring lead baits and I have been able to sell enough "product to cover the cost of materials and equipment for the most part. I might be slightly ahead but  not by much.

I have yet to start pouring plastics and really want to very soon. but I have been making and pouring lead baits and I have been able to sell enough "product to cover the cost of materials and equipment for the most part. I might be slightly ahead but  not by much.

My only advise on that subject is better start pouring plastics soon and that will take care of the positive income for sure. I can think of more than a dozen trailer type baits that can go on one size of your lead baits. Don't want people thinking you could make money doing this. Frank

Like others have said; I don't don't make baits to save money but to have fun tweaking them and experimenting. I only do so for me and the immediate family and so I don't need perfect baits, whether it be bo open pour plastic, hand carved wood or twisted metal.

It is the same reason i brew my own beer, make my own cider, mead and wine. or even reload ammo but not all at the same time.

• Like 1

Like others have said; I don't don't make baits to save money but to have fun tweaking them and experimenting. I only do so for me and the immediate family and so I don't need perfect baits, whether it be bo open pour plastic, hand carved wood or twisted metal.

It is the same reason i brew my own beer, make my own cider, mead and wine. or even reload ammo but not all at the same time.

Ha! I have to clear my bench of reloading supplies to make baits and vice versa.... I work in my garage and space is at a premium... However, with all the yahoos buying up the primers, powder and bullets, reloading ammo hasn't been something I've been doing a lot of lately anyway!! Fortunately supply seems to be catching up so I can get back to business sooner rather than later....

• Like 1