jiggy

Needing A Vise

I have a cheap rotary vise that I got from ebay and I need to upgrade.I've stripped out 3 screws on the jaws so far,trying to get it tight enough so the hook wont slip.I need a vise that can hold hooks (rock solid) because I tie with thread and pull it pretty tight.I use size 2/0 - 5/0 hooks and I want to stay with a rotary vice.The vise also needs a good warranty.What do you guys think about the cam lock jaws? I know after sitting in front of my vise for a couple of hours my fingers get tender from tightening and loosening the screws on the jaws.I'm thinking the cam lock would be more comfortable to use.What are some of the best vises for under $150?....Thanks

I found 1 on ebay for $185 and watched a review video on youtube.It;s a nice looking vise and seems sturdy.I read the description online and it say "for hooks up to 4/0" Have you used hooks larger than 4/0 in the vise? If you have did it hold the larger hook well?

Question.... do you need a true rotary vise, or just one that rotates? I have a Peak right now with jaws that are for hooks around #1 to 8/0.  True rotary.

I had an Anvil Apex before, wore it out. rotating but not a true rotary. Had hooks in there from #6 to 8/0. The jaws had 2 different "wells" drilled into them. One for small hooks, the other for larger hooks. I should have bought another one instead of the peak.

Why do you pull so hard on the thread while wrapping?  Are you looking to flare the material, or just feel that's how it needs to be done? Just curious.  Of course what you call "pulling hard" may be what I do also. I have some thread that has  5# strength, then rips. Mostly that is for the small stuff I tie, like for crappie or trout.

I recently got into tying hair jigs for bass and bought a Griffin vice. I believe it holds up to a 7/0 hook. I've had hooks up to a 5/0 in it and there was still lots of adjustment left.  It's not a true rotary, but does turn so you can rotate the jig to inspect all sides. It holds jigs really well and doesn't let the hook slip or move around. It doesn't come with all the bells and whistles like the expensive fly tying vices, but if your looking for something to tie jigs I would highly recommend it. And it's only $112 at Griffins website. It's also made in the U.S. and has a lifetime guarantee.

Ben

http://griffinenterprisesinc.com/modules/store/Superior-3ARP-Vise_P1297485C38776.cfm

Thanks for the link.I'm really leaning towards a cam lock vise.I seen the Odyssey spider has a cam lock but it's only rated for up to a 4/0 hook.I've noticed that some vises hold larger hooks than what the manufacturer claims.Does anyone have an Odyssey spider that holds up to a 5/0 and how do you like it?

Here is the one I had and will be getting another this spring, and the Peak will be gone. Read some of the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Anvil-Apex-Fly-Tying-Vise/dp/B00030ADT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453494376&sr=8-1&keywords=anvil+apex

Here is the one I have now.

http://saltwateredge.com/fly-tying/tools/swe-rotary-jig-vise.html

Edited by BLT

I have an Odyssey Spider and I've had 5/0 and 6/0 hooks in the vise and it holds really well. The thing with it is that  if I was doing all hooks that size I'd go with something designed for it but if you are doing a dozen or so with smaller hooks in between then it will work for you. I do larger hooks once in awhile so the vise works for me but if you are doing 5/0 on a regular basis then you should find one meant for larger hooks.

I received my Apex Anvil today and I'm impressed.

The included base is plenty heavy enough that I can use it to hold the vise.  

The vise holds a 5/0 7150 or 635 hook with no problems.  It has a thumb screw you can loosen to rotate the hook.

It provides a very good and solid lockup and it's very easy to adjust the jaws.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the vise.  I paid $88 and change delivered on Amazon.

Now I've got to order some more bucktails.

I've had the odyssey spider for a couple months and I'm really pleased with it. I've tied 7/0 treble hooks for musky sized bucktails and it holds very well. I also tie those using 10 lb powerpro braid and I put a lot of tension on the line to tie the bucktail very tight. Excellent bang for your buck. I've also been tying bass jigs up to 5/0 on it.

Edited by joelhains

Kris, you don't need to turn the jig to get the material even, but it is nice to be able to get a different color exactly where you want it or to inspect it. It is also great for tying hair, especially when you do patterns of 2 separate colors where placement is critical, it is done as well on a 2A vise but on a roatary it is super easy.

• Like 2

I've tied many teaser hooks w/o a rotating vise. Some with 4 different colors. I did it, and they came out ok, but just that much easier with the rotating vise. If I was just tying for myself and a few others, I would not have bought the rotating vise, but for the 1000's a year I do, I bought the new vise.

I have a cheap rotary vise that I got from ebay and I need to upgrade.I've stripped out 3 screws on the jaws so far,trying to get it tight enough so the hook wont slip.I need a vise that can hold hooks (rock solid) because I tie with thread and pull it pretty tight.I use size 2/0 - 5/0 hooks and I want to stay with a rotary vice.The vise also needs a good warranty.What do you guys think about the cam lock jaws? I know after sitting in front of my vise for a couple of hours my fingers get tender from tightening and loosening the screws on the jaws.I'm thinking the cam lock would be more comfortable to use.What are some of the best vises for under $150?....Thanks

I just saw this in the classifieds here:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/tu_classifieds/_/for-sale/griffin-3-arp-vise-r1403

Not all vise  will please to all. For example, some levels prefer a model of Clamp c that will join a table through the screw pressure. Others prefer A pedestal  Base. Which one chooses is personal preference, but there are all sorts of tradeoffs: for example, if you travel with your screw, the type of pedestal is heavy and annoying to carry, but it works on any surface. The c-clamp is much lighter, but sometimes, when you reach a destination you will find that there is no surface  that is thin enough to accommodate the clamp.

Things to consider

1. adjust and finish: This is something subjective. We were tied a one screw Thompson Model A For many years, and well it worked. It was Pflueger's medalist of viewers - cheap, not much to look at, and goffo, but he did his job. That said, we prefer to work with more precise engineering tools. Most of any $ 100 + Vite on the market these days will be super functional and aesthetically satisfying.

2. Rotability: Rotating fastening involves rotating the Hook that is in the Bolt Grips around and below the Thread (or other material), rather than wrapping the material around the Hook. Some people swear by rotating, some do not like it. No matter what camp you are in, it does no harm. Get a lathe with rotating ability if you have the other Characteristic you are looking for.

3. Grip of the jaw: This is key. The jaws should hold a hook tightly, peccato sliding. This is where the more Morse Faces stand out: they tend to hold a Hook a lot more than firmly cheaper models. This will greatly increase your satisfaction on the bench.

4. C-Clamp Quality: If you choose a C-Clamp Vite, make sure it is firmly attached. It must not move or move. The Clamp should not leave scratches or marches on your table.

5. Adjust-ability: The vice should be able to support a wide range of hook sizes. Your height should be renegotiable so you can work on a variety of Table Heights.

6. Accessory: Think if the Screw can be customized with a fork, a material tool, a parachute tool, a waste receptacle or other accessory that can be useful.

You can read full details on best fly tying vise review

I have an Apex Anvil  now for over 5 years now, got mine from BPS for $100, I'm sure they are a bit more now, I love mine. It pure meat and potatoes built tough. Though it's not a "true rotary" vice it rotates just fine for what I do and that is jigs, I tie hair jigs, float n fly jigs and bass jigs from finesse style to 5/0 football head jigs. 

Like I said its nothing fancy but for what most of us here do it's got plenty of backbone and rotation.  For the price, you can not get a better vice. 

23 minutes ago, Erick Darkman Prado said:

I have an Apex Anvil  now for over 5 years now, got mine from BPS for $100, I'm sure they are a bit more now, I love mine. It pure meat and potatoes built tough. Though it's not a "true rotary" vice it rotates just fine for what I do and that is jigs, I tie hair jigs, float n fly jigs and bass jigs from finesse style to 5/0 football head jigs. 

Like I said its nothing fancy but for what most of us here do it's got plenty of backbone and rotation.  For the price, you can not get a better vice. 

That is where I got mine, and after 4 years and many 1000 hook teasers, and jigs tied, the clamping cam wore out. Bad for me.......they company sold out, and the new company didn't seem to interested in a fix for me.  But I do love that vise. They do make a true rotary one now, but I have no need for that either.  I held up to 8/0 in mine on the 4oz. spro heads.

One on Amazon right now for $119, It looks like the true rotary also

Edited by BLT