gaspumper

Clean Jig Heads

Soak in vinegar and rinse. Not sure how long the soak needs to be, so you will have to experiment. This isn't going to give you shiny lead, but lead only stays shiny for a few minutes anyway, as it oxidizes very fast. The layer of oxidation then protects the metal from further oxidation, so you still have some metal left the next day.

I would think an overnight soak would work, but test first.

Dave

• Like 1

Soak in vinegar and rinse. Not sure how long the soak needs to be, so you will have to experiment. This isn't going to give you shiny lead, but lead only stays shiny for a few minutes anyway, as it oxidizes very fast. The layer of oxidation then protects the metal from further oxidation, so you still have some metal left the next day.

I would think an overnight soak would work, but test first.

Dave

x2

soak  1 day rinse. lead turns dull. Just tried this the other week with lead. Works good

I ran out of vinegar the other day, and wanted to clean some white oxidation off an old jig head, so I used an orange.  I just cut an X into the orange, pushed the head in, squeezed a little to get the juices flowing, and pulled out the jig after 10 seconds.

It is citric acid, and did the job.

Rinsed it in water, and then coat it with nail polish.

It's not ideal, but it worked in a pinch.

• Like 1

I ran out of vinegar the other day, and wanted to clean some white oxidation off an old jig head, so I used an orange.  I just cut an X into the orange, pushed the head in, squeezed a little to get the juices flowing, and pulled out the jig after 10 seconds.

And it smells good to! :D   I would think lemon would work really well also.

Ever fold the peel in half and shoot the juice at a flame?   :eek:

Edited by BLT

I keep mine in a tightly sealed container as well, and then in a zip lock bag. They stay shiny easily for a year, but by that time 6 months into the year, I have used them up. Exactly what smallmouthaholic said, no air no oxidation. Been doing this for about 5 years now.

I ran out of vinegar the other day, and wanted to clean some white oxidation off an old jig head, so I used an orange. I just cut an X into the orange, pushed the head in, squeezed a little to get the juices flowing, and pulled out the jig after 10 seconds.

Good idea!... At the truck wash they use some sorta citrus spray... Gets my tank all shiny!

what would my Wifey say if she ever saw me use the food savor for JIGS lol.

If you are referring to a vacuum sealer. Well dang I've never thought of that. That would sure be the ticket for me, might be a little expensive investment for my use though. But I like that. Why didn't I think of that. :?:?:?:?:?

Edited by cadman

If you are referring to a vacuum sealer. Well dang I've never thought of that. That would sure be the ticket for me, might be a little expensive investment for my use though. But I like that. Why didn't I think of that. :?:?:?:?:?

Yep, one of them. Watch craigslist and yard sales. One of them "must haves" that people use 3-4 times lol.

You can pick up bags on e-bay a lot cheaper than the stores.

Yep, one of them. Watch craigslist and yard sales. One of them "must haves" that people use 3-4 times lol.

You can pick up bags on e-bay a lot cheaper than the stores.

Well, thanks for the info. Problem is I'm one of those guys that when I get a new toy, I start using it for everything. Unfortunately I will probably start vacuum sealing everything in the house. Now you did it, costing me more money.

Well, thanks for the info. Problem is I'm one of those guys that when I get a new toy, I start using it for everything. Unfortunately I will probably start vacuum sealing everything in the house. Now you did it, costing me more money.

You'll probably be OK Ted until you start vacuum sealing the vacuum sealer. :huh::D

Ben

• Like 2