hpssports

Calhoun Plastics

Was one of the more popular plastics for many years due to its heat stability, minor off gassing,  and their soft formula.   It had some hits and misses with consistency around 2004/2005 and some hits and misses here and there (not for sure if you can't say that about all plastic for the most part) but not for sure if some of that wasn't guys buying in bulk and transferring to smaller containers to sell or the plastic itself (likely on both accounts). Very faint yellow color on the plastic but very faint and very limited amount of black or blue would make it appear crystal clear.   I still mainly use Calhoun's when I pour.

• Like 2

Was one of the more popular plastics for many years due to its heat stability, minor off gassing,  and their soft formula.   It had some hits and misses with consistency around 2004/2005

My business was in full swing back then and M-F and Calhoun's were the absolute best plastic's available at the time. Was going through 25-30 gallons a week hand pouring only...no injecting :) then a sudden change occurred with Calhoun's plastic and its shipping container's around 2003....the unusable foaming Calhoun's plastic, with a HUGE!!! memory problem cost me 250,000 4" worms not to mention all the back and forth with the product and I still ended up stuck with 10 gallons that they refused to take back. Just left a very bad taste in my mouth.....250,000 4" worms I had to repour.....for free :(.....

Looks like I'll be calling Calhoun Monday & ordering a couple of drums. Thanks for the info guys.

If you have been using a plastic that is double the price then it might be wise to invest in a vacuum chember cause if you use a microwave to heat it will bubble a bit. The less expensive plastic have an ingrediant that holds onto air and it takes a vacuum that pulls at least 29.4 in of vacuum to get it to let go. Not sure if you can buy it from them like that but in the long run you will save big. Not knocking ordering two drums but that is a real big chance to take if you never used it before. You sure you don't want to try it first?

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

The only time we use a microwave is if we are clear dipping custom baits & we only use MF for clear dipping. Everything else is mixed & heated slow, so we shouldn't have problems with bubbles. My only concern is the floatation of the plastic. The plastic we currently use floats really well.