billibibruda

What do I need to protect myself from lead

Lead produces fumes, not vapors. Therefore, an N95 should be sufficient. It can also be absorbed so gloves should also be worn. I use tools when melting lead so I don’t touch it until it’s cool. I believe you would need to be in contact with lead for quite a while before it becomes a health issues such as someone that works with it daily. When an employee is overexposed that have to be removed for a certain amount of time to recover.  Some amount can be removed by your body, but depending on the amount is can also be stored, so it’s best to err on the side of caution. 

• Like 2

I worry a little less about lead while pouring, (I do do the basic well ventilated and a fan), then if I have to file or saw the lead vapors go away lead dust will stay on your work bench and other places so you can pick it up months later.  if I am stuck filing i do it right over the lead pot or at least over a paper to capture the bits.

For the most part I avoid the issue by using pre-made shapes lead shot either bird shot or buckshot 

+1 on this

1 hour ago, aulrich said:

I worry a little less about lead while pouring, (I do do the basic well ventilated and a fan), then if I have to file or saw the lead vapors go away lead dust will stay on your work bench and other places so you can pick it up months later.  if I am stuck filing i do it right over the lead pot or at least over a paper to capture the bits.

For the most part I avoid the issue by using pre-made shapes lead shot either bird shot or buckshot 

You will get lead poisoning by not washing you hands. don't eat drink or smoke while working with lead. wash your hands before you put anything in your mouth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mad Moose Baits said:

OH! I made a video about this!

Years ago I had take a lead abatement class in order to keep my contractors license, and they went over many of the same things, but related it to removing lead-based paint in residential construction.   Lead paint is a real threat for children.

My instructor emphasized that lead dust can also lead to sterility, but I think he was just trying to get the male case to pay attention.

It has been 20+ years since I had to worry about this, and things may have changed, but that's how it was in the 90's.

Edited by mark poulson

On 2/7/2024 at 11:15 PM, billibibruda said:

I have heard about lead particles and the dangers with them and I need to know what I need to be safe links will be  appreciated 

I have been working with lead ( a few ton every year) I keep my shop clean and wear an apron. wash my hands when I come in and change my clothes before i sit in the living noom  I get my blood tested two or three times a year when ever Dr, wants for other problems. I had high lead levels about 30 years ago so health dept. gave me a list of suggestions to prevent it getting high again.  Been good ever sence. also stoped buying scrap lead and use lead from the foundry, much cleaned and also use in a well vented area. Lead is perfectly safe if you use it right  kinda like gun owder LOL. 

• Like 1