Steen

Epoxy on spraypaint

Hey guys I'm a German Luremaker in the beginning and need some help .I didn't thought much about how to design my lures, but now that I've made some pike Lures I struggle with the spraypaint and the epoxy. I began with sealing the lure with super glue and put acetone based spraypaint on it. Now that Ive tried to put some epoxy on it, it created a big mess. I'm gone try a different spraypaint and try to put a clear coat and the epoxy afterwards, hope it will fix it... But I'm not really sure if it will be fixed by changing the spraypaint... Maybe you guy's got some ideas how this problem can be fixed.

Thanks 

Steen

IMG-20220422-WA0125.jpg

IMG-20220422-WA0126.jpg

IMG-20220507-WA0031.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I use different woods and ureol/sikablock polyurethane hard foam. I seal it with superglue, but I don't have an Airbrush. I use acrylic spray can paint and tried to seal it with epoxy. KBS is unfortunately not available here in Germany.

Steen

• Like 1

Welcome!

There's another maker from Germany on here, though I haven't seen him post in a while. @fishordie79 He might have some specific insight on what you can find over there.

I've dipped a lot of baits in Oil Modified Urethane gym floor sealer. You might be able to find something of that nature out by you. There are also a lot of moisture cured urethane products.

I haven't used spray acrylics, but I've used a lot of spray enamels. They seal really well with the OMU sealer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Big Epp said:

Welcome!

There's another maker from Germany on here, though I haven't seen him post in a while. @fishordie79 He might have some specific insight on what you can find over there.

I've dipped a lot of baits in Oil Modified Urethane gym floor sealer. You might be able to find something of that nature out by you. There are also a lot of moisture cured urethane products.

I haven't used spray acrylics, but I've used a lot of spray enamels. They seal really well with the OMU sealer.

Thanks for the comment. Hmm maybe something oilbased would work better, I'm not sure. I've texted him now, maybe he can help me out.

17 minutes ago, Outlaw4 said:

how long between the paint and epoxy? paint can be dry but not cured and that can make a mess sometimes?

also if two part epoxy make sure its mixed more than sufficient. i set a 5 minute timer for mixing, its way longer than you think lol

We've waited a few hours between the paint and the epoxy. We'll have an eye on the mixture and try mixing it longer. Thanks :)

59 minutes ago, Steen said:

Thanks for the comment. Hmm maybe something oilbased would work better, I'm not sure. I've texted him now, maybe he can help me out.

We've waited a few hours between the paint and the epoxy. We'll have an eye on the mixture and try mixing it longer. Thanks :)

Try waiting a full 24 hours or more. It can take that long or more for some paints

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Norwegian said:

As previous poster said letting the paint fully cure is important. I have coated metal lures with epoxy and powder coat over acrylic and other paints and if the paint is not fully cured it will gas. At least 24 hours in a warm place. 

Okay, I'll be back after some testings.

I believe the problem is the acetone contained in your paint.  If your paint contained lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol, or (probably best) water as a thinning agent, I think epoxy would not be a problem.  

• Like 2